In light of Breast Cancer Awareness month, I’d like to share some very interesting facts that Dr. Kristi Funk presented on a recent YouTube interview hosted by Chef AJ.
Dr. Funk is a breast cancer surgeon who happens to be extremely energetic and passionate about what she does!
Here are a few things she covered:
- Red flags for the BRCA gene mutation; when to be tested, and what it means it you have it
- Being overweight is the highest preventable risk factor. Think of your weight at age 18, and then consider these statistics according to your current weight: Those who gain under 8 pounds stay at normal risk; a weight gain of between 8-14 pounds increases breast cancer risk 25%; a weight gain of 14-29 pounds = a 60% risk increase; over 29 lbs = a 90% increased risk.
- That’s because fat cells contain/lead to increased estrogen levels.
- BUT, anyone that loses weight can reverse the trend.
- Which foods are so anti-estrogen that they block cancer? Whole SOY foods, because of the genistein content. She recommends daily consumption (and shares all the soy stats).
- Ground flax seed are also super cancer fighters, because of their LIGNAN content; lignans are anti-estrogen.
- Broccoli (raw or lightly steamed) – the sulforaphane is another powerful cancer fighter.
- Cacao powder – at least 70% cacao – a breast cancer superfood.
- Alcohol should be reduced or eliminated – even moderate drinking raises cancer risk.
I highly recommend watching the entire video!
She shares the weight gain statistics “not to PANIC anyone, but to incentivize them.”
At the time of this writing, there are three seats left in my “Intro to Safe, Permanent Weight Loss” being offered through Joliet Junior College (online using Zoom). The class will be held November 16 from 6:30 – 8:00 CST. Read more about it here and consider joining us!
PS: Be sure to check out this FREE class, too: 3 Reasons Dieters Regain the Weight