In light of Breast Cancer Awareness month, I’d like to share some very interesting facts that Dr. Kristi Funk presented on a recent YouTube interview hosted by Chef AJ.
Dr. Funk is a breast cancer surgeon who happens to be extremely energetic and passionate about what she does!
Here are a few things she covered:
- Red flags for the BRCA gene mutation; when to be tested, and what it means it you have it
- Being overweight is the highest preventable risk factor. Think of your weight at age 18, and then consider these statistics according to your current weight: Those who gain under 8 pounds stay at normal risk; a weight gain of between 8-14 pounds increases breast cancer risk 25%; a weight gain of 14-29 pounds = a 60% risk increase; over 29 lbs = a 90% increased risk.
- That’s because fat cells contain/lead to increased estrogen levels.
- BUT, anyone that loses weight can reverse the trend.
- Which foods are so anti-estrogen that they block cancer? Whole SOY foods, because of the genistein content. She recommends daily consumption (and shares all the soy stats).
- Ground flax seed are also super cancer fighters, because of their LIGNAN content; lignans are anti-estrogen.
- Broccoli (raw or lightly steamed) – the sulforaphane is another powerful cancer fighter.
- Cacao powder – at least 70% cacao – a breast cancer superfood.
- Alcohol should be reduced or eliminated – even moderate drinking raises cancer risk.
I highly recommend watching the entire video!
She shares the weight gain statistics “not to PANIC anyone, but to incentivize them.”
PS: Be sure to check out this FREE training class:
3 Food Mistakes You’re Making Which Lead to Painful Joints, Extra Pounds, and Health Problems the Doctors Aren’t Solving.